A few days ago, I was tagged to share a pick-me-up playlist from one of my favorite bloggers, Muted Mouthful.
This is in honor of World Mental Health Day. Laura Spoonie created the tag, as a brilliant way to spread positivity and light. Spreading positivity and light is what I’m all about too. I can’t imagine a better way to do that than through music.
Both of these ladies have inspiring play lists, including some from my favorite musicals, such as Wicked and Hamilton and fun pop hits from Spice girls & Mariah Carey.
- Link back to ‘Pick Me Up Playlist’ creator – Laura Spoonie
- Tag the blogger who nominated you
- Mention how music helps your Mental Health
- List 10 songs that you would consider to be a part of your ‘Pick Me Up Playlist’ (optional: mention a little bit why each song is on your list)
- Tag 10 other bloggers to join in with the ‘Pick Me Up Playlist’ Challenge
Soundtrack of our lives
Music is memories and motivation. Music acts like medicine, soothing my soul and sanity. Music makes me happy! Music follows me all around…
If you think about it, music is there, and we truly do have a soundtrack to our lives. Music is played at birthdays and parties; weddings, funerals. Music reminds us of people and places. Music reminds us of the past and present. What are the times in your life music is there?
SO HOW DO I CHOOSE just 10 songs?!
Wake me up!
Right when we wake up in the morning, music is there. We turn the music on and get ready for the day. Usually, it isn’t a particular play list, just a Pandora channel, like Pop Fitness or the Greatest Showman soundtrack, but some of my other favorites are:
- HandClap- Fitz and the Tantrums: for me any song that gets you clapping your hands is a definite pick me up
- Can’t Stop the Feeling- Justin Timberlake: This makes me want to dance!
- Walking on Sunshine- Katrina and the Waves: I love how she says “Now every time I go for the mailbox, gotta hold myself down, ‘Cause I just can’t wait till you write me you’re coming around”. I consider this one of my personal anthems as well
Working out (pumped up!)
There are some songs that just have the best beat, make you want to dance or get you excited for the day, make you jump up, dance, move your body…
1.Jock Jams-Are you ready for this?!: Of course. It’s a song from my era and no matter what,the ultimate pump up song! Get your spirit fingers ready!
2. Jump around- House of Pain: I usually say if I hear this song on my way to work, it’s gonna be a great day!
3. Let’s get Loud by Jennifer Lopez: This would be my walk up song, intro song, pump up the crowd song, stress reliever song after a long week with a dance party.
Sing along- Belt it out
These are the ones you are going to belt out EVERY TIME they come on the radio. These are the songs that I’ve been singing in the mirror since I was 5 and new ones that came out recently. I love to sing and you will always catch me singing these.
- Man in the Mirror by Michael Jackson– The first two lines; “I’m gonna make a change, for once in my life. It’s gonna feel real good, gonna make a difference, gonna make it right…” Yep, that pretty much sums up my mission statement
- Found/Tonight, Hamilton/Dear Evan Hansen Mash up– Both of these songs separately are powerful, but when you put them together in this duet, they become even better!!! This one helped me reach a goal I was striving toward as well.
There will always be songs that remind you of milestone moments in your life, here are a few of mine.
- Somewhere over the Rainbow– Various, but most often the version by Isreal Kamakawiwo’ole : This song was played at my parent’s wedding, I sang it at my brother’s wedding, we played it at our wedding. It reminds me of one of my best friend’s mom and generally people I know who’ve passed on watching over us.
- Seasons of love from the musical “Rent”; This musical is one of my generation, truly. I was/am obsessed with it from my high school days. We sang this song at our graduation and one of best friends and I sang this at my “Fairy Godmother’s” wedding.
What? You think I could create a playlist and not include Motown? That’s just crazy talk!, Although, I’d like to include them ALL, here are some of my faves…
- My Girl- The Temptations: Reminds me of my dad, especially dancing with him to this at our wedding. It’s a song I sign to my daughter, especially as a baby, rocking her to sleep.
- RESPECT- Aretha Franklin: yeah, I don’t think this needs an explanation…Aretha is the QUEEEN!
- Reach out I’ll be there- The 4 Tops: Another song from my dad. He used to sing this to me saying “Au-b-daubs”…Love it!
So I cheated… 13 songs, not 10. It’s like going through the line at the grocery store, 10 items or less and you have 13. Well, it’s worth it.
What’s on your top play list? I’d love to hear about the songs that you hold close to your hear, belt out, dance around to. The songs that are a part of your soundtrack. Please share in the comments below.
Keep on groovin’!